Colour (color) really does matter. As an interior designer you don’t need me to tell you that. I think sometimes though we know what good colours are and what good colour combinations are and we know what feels right to us and to our clients in the spaces we inhabit.
Many of us are not graphic designers and perhaps our own branding may have suffered because of colour choices we would make in our day job.
Apparently if you look more closely at the infographic on the right then you will see that their research shows that more than 90% of the world’s top 100 brands use either red, blue or grey as the primary branding colour and more than 90% of those same companies use at most 2 colours. So there’s very much a ‘keep it simple’ line coming out for brand colours. No big surprise there I suppose.
41% only use text – so that will be the brand name and/or ‘strap line’ ie there will probably be no logo as such.
Colours considered suitable for companies in ‘the home’ are green and yellow. This doesn’t necessarily apply to the colour YOU should have for your branding as an interior designer.
Indeed their research shows that ORANGE & BROWN are questionable colours for companies in the interiors space. With our Pantone 464 I suppose we fall foul of that.
Then again it is interesting to read that people associate ‘vibrant and fun’ with Orange. It is also interesting to read that the colour is the first thing that potential clients perceive about your brand.
Yet the safest choice appears to be shades of grey. If we all had grey houses and grey business and grey clothes I guess the world would necessarily be a greyer place. And I’m not sure it would be a better place for that.
Summary: Conform or stand out. It’s up to you. You can probably make most colours work as a brand but maybe a myriad of colours won’t work. Is this all stating the obvious?
- Interior Designers – What Should I write About On My Blog (kothea.com)
- Pinterest and Customer Interest : Interior Designers Pin their Boards to the Wall (kothea.com)
- How do you explain INTERIOR DESIGN to a 6 year old boy? (kothea.com)
- Who is the best interior designer in the world? in Europe? (kothea.com)
- The Business Bible For Interior Designers (kothea.com)
- Colour Me (Bold) Sunday (forestslark.wordpress.com)
- Pantone’s Color of the Year 2013: EMERALD GREEN (design-magnifique.com)
- Choosing bold colour schemes (directblinds.co.uk)