Modern vs Contemporary: Contemporary is usually something that is modern or recent looking yet which takes something ‘good’ from the past such as, for example, GOOD traditional materials. Modern may sometimes (and probably incorrectly) infer a degree of futuristic design.
Vintage vs Retro vs Reproduction: Something vintage is from its original period. Retro is something that has been recently made in the style of an older piece or period. Reproduction is a copy of an item some time after its original period has finished. A fake is a reproduction that is specifically designed to be passed off as an original.
Selective indulgence: You probably haven’t got the budget to have a fully indulgent design. So instead you choose to be indulgent on certain concept or focus pieces that make a statement.
Organic – This can mean ‘eco’ in modern parlance. But you should also be aware that others use it to mean natural in a very broad sense – for example to how your entire scheme works together and fits to the space.
Energy: This is more about emotions and feelings than the vividness of colours or eye-catchingness of objects.
Re-purpose – this means more than just to re-use something. Yes you re-use it but you re-use it for a different purpose.
Diversified Portfolio: You have more than just taupe in the photos of your past work😉 Your portfolio will show different types of projects, say, a classic villa and a contemporary restaurant
Collaborative spaces – allow spaces for group work but also allow such spaces to be able to be used and re-used for different functions or groups.
What do you think?or what is your bug bear?
- Interior Design-Inspirations (time4sleep.co.uk)
- Quirky House Renovation injected with colour (tryingtobalancethemadness.wordpress.com)
- Why White Beds are Trendy Yet Practical (time4sleep.co.uk)
- Interior Decor Design Styles (lecoeurdelavie.wordpress.com)
- What Do Interior Designers Do? (kengolendesignflorida.com)
- The Eames Chair and Charles’ Style (wax-wane.com)
- Contemporary Design and Decor 101 (apartmentguide.com)
- Make like Mad Men in Sixties-style homes (onefinestay.com)
- Trend Alert: Retro Tone Coats (fabsugar.com)
- Designer Spotlight: VDL Interiors (lumens.com)